Monday, February 21, 2011

The Five Thousand Dollar Letter

I would like to start by talking about the simple act of writing a letter. Seems almost a lost art form but it has very practical uses, especially when writing an offer on a home in a competitive bid situation. For the first time since the end of 2008 I am seeing an increase in the amount of competitive offer situations and deem this a very good sign to the spring forecast! : )

It's a simple idea but I have seen letters perform miracles!  When a seller knows where you are coming from they will be far more receptive to your offer. I am not saying that cash isn't king but sometimes just sometimes it can be the difference between winning and losing in a competitive offer situation.

In a recent experience a buyer had an extremely profound effect on the seller through their letter. So profound, that the sellers turned down another offer five thousand dollars higher!  Crazy I know this gave me goose bumps! In this situation the sellers related to the buyers letter so strongly it was like serendipity. They wanted to help make a difference in the buyer’s life and that fact was far more valuable to them than the other offer just a little higher...amazing.

Of course this isn’t happening every time. Sometimes a letter may not be practical and most of the time it IS all about the money, but it's undeniably a simple little tool that can make a big difference.

 -So please bare with me this is the first time I have ever blogged ...watch out ; ) I had the idea for the concept of this blog on a long and dark ride home from New Hope, PA after working for 10 hours straight on a SUNDAY!  I got to thinking that because I am so enthralled in this business day in and day out that it would be easy for me to talk about the everyday practicality of buying and selling Real Estate. Share all of the little tips and tricks that I have picked up along the way. Hey, maybe even a funny story or two. I promise not to take it too seriously and have some fun with it all the while providing practical and useful information. So I hope you enjoy, that’s all for now folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment